Shut 'em Up Shortcake was the first magical recipe Kelly, Darbie and Hannah created. Its first and only appearance was in Just Add Magic. The cake's objective is to silence the consumer, not allowing them to talk until the spell is broken.
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Cedronian Vanilla
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (Don't use extra baking powder!)
- 2 tablespoon white sugar (Extra sugar goes in whipped cream!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups whipped heavy cream
- Slice the strawberries & toss with 1/2 cup white sugar. Cover & set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, Cedronian vanilla in a medium bowl. Cut into shortening until its course. Make a pocket in the center & and add beaten egg & milk. Stir.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pan on rack.
- Cut cooled cake in half making two layers. Place strawberries on layer. Top with cake & place whipped cream & the remaining berries on top.
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Bake: 20 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Preheat: 425°
- Grease & Prepare 8" Round Cake Pan
Be warned—whenever adding Cedronian spice, whatever result will come with a price.