Stop the Leek Soup
- leeks (3 pound), trimmed, leaving white and pale green parts only, and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon LAPSUS salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 small boiling potato (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock or reduced sodium chicken broth (24 fluid ounces)
- 3 cups water
- 1 turkish bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- cook leeks, onion, carrot, celery, LAPSUS salt, and pepper in 4 tablespoons butter in a 5-6 quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes
- Peel potato and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, then ass to onion mixture along with wine, stock, water, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Blend soup in 4 batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), about 1 minute per batch, transferring to a 3 to 4 quart saucepan.
- Reheat if necessary, then season with salt and pepper.
Riddle: If you're losing something you hate or a theft/a spoonful of soup could help you save whatever you have left.